[Qgis-user] Slope and area/length calculations with Geographic CRS

Harish harry.om2000 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 05:48:51 PST 2012

Respected All,

When we have to calculate area/length in polygon/line  vector layers we
have to convert Geographic CRS of the layer in Projected CRS, and in raster
DEM for slope calculations the same is to be done.

I am providing continuous free practical trainings to the Government
officials in India of 5-6 days on Application of Desktop QGIS in
Watershed/Rural Development schemes and in this duration I don't want to
put the trainees deep in the matter of Coordinate Reference System and want
to do everything in GCS-WGS1984. Can there be any solution presently or in
future for calculating area/length in vector and slope etc. in DEM with
geographic coordinate system.

Regards

Harish

--
Harish Kumar Solanki, Assistant Professor
National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD), MoRD, GoI

Email- hksolanki at nird.gov.in, harry.om2000 at gmail.com,
Tele-Fax-0141-2209904, Mo.- 09414291732, 09214446732
Website-  http://www.nird.org.in,
http://watershed.rajasthan.gov.in/<http://www.nird.org.in>
LinkedIn: www.linkedIn.com/in/hksolanki
<http://www.nird.org.in>