[Qgis-user] Converting CSV into a database

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Jan 28 13:16:58 PST 2012

On 01/28/2012 01:08 PM, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> I have spend some time polishing the data I have and it is in csv format. I
> would like to run queries on it and display a number of custom queries's
> data on my map. I thought spatialite would be the answer but I am
> struggling to connect the dots. I first tried to import the csv file
> directly which worked a treat. I then exported the csv file as a SQLite
> database and tried to add it as Spatialite database, that failed for
> obvious reasons.
>
> I then thought that maybe I can directly do queries on the csv data.... I
> managed to get a query working on the data and that query now displays
> different coloured dots. However I could not find this query again nor seem
> to be able to change the symbology based on the query type.
>
> My csv file contain multiple types of points which I would like to map with
> different symbology. Any help would be appreciated. The manual explains how
> to create a spatialite db but makes no mention of how to get data into a
> spatialite db,
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards

Try the QSpatialite plugin (from Fetch python plugins).
1. Create an empty spatial database
2. Connect and use the Upload Tables tab under which you can pick CSV as
the source.

Alternative method, download the spatialite gui from spatialite website
and use that to import the csv. Once imported QGIS will be able to see
it, though you may need to create a geometry column and run an update
query to populate it.

Enjoy,
Alex