[Qgis-user] any ideas how to get data from attribute table out of qgis

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:20:08 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:38 AM, M.E.Dodd <m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> First the 'save as' .csv is indeed broken, infact I have never got it to work under windowsxp with any file of any size even though 'save as' works fine saving to other formats. Error message "Export to vector file failed. Error: creation of data source failed (OGR error:)"
>
> Am currently trying the export to SQLite, so far its taken 10 minutes and no sign of success or otherwise (just a blank screen).
>
> How do I get to the command line from within the qgis GUI to try that ogr option you suggest?

So, obviously, it's an OGR error. Running it via command line might
produce a more interpretable error message. How to access it probably
depends on how you installed QGIS. I installed via OSGeo4W, and as far
as I recall (I'm not at my Windows computer right now), if you launch
OSGeo4W from the Start Menu you will get a command line session that
has ogr2ogr in the PATH. If you installed QGIS differently, not sure
where ogr2ogr ends up.

One thing I was wondering is whether the calculated field is the
problem, particularly since you say that QGIS isn't even committing
your edits when you try to save your calculations.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM, M.E.Dodd <m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks very much, I have tried this and it works fine.

Obviously everyone should come up with a workflow that they are
comfortable with, but in general I try to do all these calculations in
database as well, usually with PostGIS, but sometimes with SpatiaLite.
Seems like this is what you've decided to do.

--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth & Environmental Sciences (Geography)