[Qgis-user] clicking Project properties crashes qgis

Tomas_IV brunclik at atlas.cz
Wed Jun 27 02:05:45 PDT 2012

I can confirm the crash here, after uninstalling QGIS 1.7.3 and installing
1.8.0 (on Windows 7). Not sure if I removed the 1.7.3 before or after
instalation of 1.8.0, I thought the latter case might be the cause of the
crashes.
The crash occurs even after opening QGIS with new empty project, when I
select the Project properties, or when I try to load a shapefile with
JTSK/Krovak CRS to the new project without attemting to set its properties.
It also occurs if I open new empty project, load any (other than krovak)
shapefile and then try to view its properties.
Anyway, I tried this: 1. uninstalled QGIS, 2. deleted .qgis folder, 3.
installed QGIS. Result: after selecting project properties of new empty
project, there is crash again.
I heard about removal of some krovak CRS definitions (i do not have
possibility to look what is missing in the definitions, because trying to
open them crashes QGIS), and seeing different behaviour when opening krovak
and other layers and also seeing that Jakub is a Czech name, this might be
related. But if it is, there must be other means than the .qgis folder, by
which QGIS remembers there was a missing CRS used before (registers?),
because after clean reinstall it crashes when nothing related to krovak was
done, just selected project properties...

Now I tried to run QGIS from commandline and voila, things started to work.
Even with subsequent starts by the program icon. I did delete the .qgis
folder, opened terminal (Start/Run../cmd) and pasted into the terminal the
commad i acquired by copying from the program icon properties. The command
was in my case:
"C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS Lisboa\bin\nircmd.exe" exec hide "C:\Program
Files\Quantum GIS Lisboa\bin\nircmd.exe" exec hide
Hope this helps also to you...

Tomas B.