[Qgis-user] Creation of GPX file fails

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 02:31:27 PST 2012

Laurence -

Try the following for saving a shape layer as a valid GPX file (tested
on QGIS 1.7.4/Windows 7-64 bit):

  * In the dialog "Layers" right click the name of the shape layer you
    want the save as a gpx file.
  * Then left click on item "Save as...". This action will show a new
    dialog: "Save vector layer as..."
  * Under "Format" : Choose "GPS eXchange format [GPX]"
  * Under "Save as": Write or browse the name for the new GPX file
  * Leave "Encoding" as "System"
  * Under CRS (upper dropdown): Choose "Selected CRS"
  * Under CRS (lower textbox): Browse the CRS to: "WGS 84" (It's
    *important* you choose "WGS 84"; the GPX format support*only* this
    CRS, but QGIS will happily write your data in any CRS)
  * If you have any unconventional GPX attributes in you data: Add
    "GPX_USE_EXTENSIONS=yes" in the "Data source" textbox.
  * Click on OK.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
Aestas-GIS