[Qgis-user] Forestry Week? (was Case sensitive)

Magnus Homann magnus at homann.se
Tue Mar 13 13:53:18 PDT 2012

2012-03-13 20:03, Tyler Mitchell skrev:
> Much of my early GIS background was in forestry here in Western Canada.
> I think this week I've seen "forestry" mentioned 3-4 times on this list.  I'd love
> to learn more about what folks are doing with QGIS in forestry or other
> ecosystem management of natural resources.  Fire me a note if you don't
> want to share on the list.

Here's a screenie of my Qgis use. Managing about 100 hectares of productive forest
with myself doing some work (precomercial thinning, thinning).

http://bayimg.com/eanFlAAdE

* Aerial photo (0.5m/pixel, color)
* Old survey map detailing measures and markers
* Parcels with info (se attribute table)
* Tracks from precomercial thinning (wearing my Garmin Forerunner 305 when doing forestry work,
makes it easy to kepp track what I've done)
* Roads, paths
* Layers detailing what has been planted, thinned, and cut down.
* Borders and markers, also exported to handheld GPS (and to Android phone with
Oruxmaps and google earth aerial in the background).
* Notes where I found old barbed wire.
* Notes of good places to pick mushroom... ;)

Standard QGIS, data stord in shapefiles.

Magnus