[Qgis-user] Re: ecw problems

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Mar 22 13:24:56 PDT 2012

Am 22.03.2012 20:26, schrieb Andre Joost:
> Am 22.03.2012 16:16, schrieb skampus:
>> please, can you explain how it has to be used?
>>

> Via command line, much like the osgeo4w installation works:

Sorry, I got mixed up with the Mapserver for Windows installation, which
also has gdal ;-)

For the standalone gdal installer linked above, it is much more simple:

expand the zip-file to a folder you want, e.g. D:\gdal

Put your raster file in that folder.

You will find a batchfile SDKshell.bat in there. Just double click it,
and you get a commandline prompt with correct environment setting.

Then, just type
gdal_translate -expand rgba testfile.tif -of ecw testfile.ecw

and your tif-source will be translated to ecw.

gdal_translate testfile.ecw -of png testfile.png

changes it to png format.

HTH,
ajoessen