[Qgis-user] Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Wed Mar 28 07:29:27 PDT 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 3:30 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

> I'm also on gis.stackexchange. Their technology solves a lot of the issues classic forums have. You can tag questions and it's easy to spot which question has been answered and what the answer is. So maybe we could have a QGIS stackexchange site and close the forums? OSM has a stackexchange site for example.
>
> We could also close the forums and tell everyone to use gis.stackexchange instead. That would reduce maintenance necessary on our side. It would also increase visibility of QGIS in the eyes of ESRI folks if more QGIS questions pop up on stackexchange.
>
> Personally, I would welcome shutting down the forums since it would free me of the repetitive work of deleting dozens of spam threads every day.
>
> Regards,

In the past there has been user outcry regarding shutdown of the forums.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will mark the forums read-only and disable new logins. A banner/sticky post will be added directing people to gis.stackexchange. We can talk about creating our own site using OSQA [1], but I wonder if it is better to redirect people to the "real" stackexchange.

No matter what route we choose, someone will not be happy.

-gary

Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
  http://geoapt.com