[Qgis-user] Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Wed Mar 28 15:39:16 PDT 2012

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:00:33 +0100
> From: jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment
> 	platform
> To: madmanwoo at gmail.com
> Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> 802579CF.004CF4CD at LocalDomain>

> Each medium has its own advantages and disadvantages, however between the
> lot of them there is one core problem - the information is scattered and
> fragmented between half a dozen places; you don't end up with a codex of
> knowledge which everyone can reference which is what I think others were
> trying to say.
> I think it's great that users have the choices of forums/stackoverflow,
> mailing lists, various social media sites, IRC, etc, but what if they want
> to actually find a piece of information from all of those rather than ask
> the same question for the nth time? You've got to use a whole bunch of
> search engines, most of which aren't any good.
>
> I'm not really sure if there's a easy solution to this, though I'm kind of
> inclined towards a wiki that can act as a central codex. I know there is
> already a wiki, but it's a horrid mess that isn't structured like any
> other wiki I've ever seen and 99% of the stuff on there looks like its for
> developers anyway. It's also not good at handling multi-lingual stuff (I
> end up coming across random articles in other languages rather than
> everything in one language).
>
> Also, now that I look at it, the www.qgis.org web-site only really has
> clear links to the forums and the "chat". It may be an idea to have a very
> clear "need help with QGIS? Contact us via" and then a big list with links
> on the front page, right below the nice big "Download" button. It really
> depends on what audience you're targeting though.
>
> Jonathan

There was another discussion relating to this on the Community list in January.
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-community-team/2012-January/001870.html
To start with I was going to work on revamping the main wiki page(s).  Unfortunately I haven't got around to it yet (I've been in hospital and all sorts of things), but I'd like to get it sorted in the next week or so.

Regards,
Alister