[Qgis-user] Closure of forum

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:10:12 PDT 2012

I read QGIS-User on Nabble, where the posts on the closure of the forum
appear somehow to have got mixed up with the Sextante thread, so forgive me
for starting a new thread.

The closure is a done deal I suppose but I think it will be harmful to QGIS.
Forum users are now being pointed to Stack Exchange but many of them will, I
believe, take one look at Stack Exchange and run a mile. The Stack Exchange
GIS FAQ makes it quite clear that SE is intended for "...cartographers,
database administrators, geographers, programmers, and anyone interested in
or using GIS professionally."

I don't fit into any one of these categories, nor I think would many of the
people who used to post on the forum. They tended to be newcomers to QGIS,
or people who make maps and use GIS as just a part of their job, or as part
of a recreational activity, or any combination of the three. Some of them
will be young and engaged in things like school projects. It would be nice
to think that these people will shift to SE, but I can't see this happening.
But we'll soon be able to tell, if things work as hoped a lot of newby-type
questions should soon start appearing on SE. It will be interesting to see
the responses.