[Qgis-user] Database design/performance question

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed May 9 04:45:57 PDT 2012

Hi Koos,

I do not know about Spatialite. In PostGIS if your data is on the _same_
server it should not matter if it is organized in one or several
databases. You can, however, increase performance
a) hardwearwise: use a Raid-System, increase RAM (and tell PostgreSQL to
use it -> postgresql.conf)
b) datawise: create a spatial index, use VACUUM, probably CLUSTER the
data by this index as I understand you only read the data.

as for schemas: compare with your file system: You could put all your
shape files in the same directory or create subdirectories

Bernhard