[Qgis-user] Database design/performance question

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed May 9 05:36:53 PDT 2012

 Hi,

 Performance wise it does not matter whether you have one or multiple
 databases. You can also split a single database into multiple
 tablespaces on multiple disks.

 I would opt for one big database for everything. Table joins across
 multiple databases is complicated and does not work out of the box in
 PostgreSQL. The only drawback with one big database is that the dump
 files (backup or migration) get fairly large.

 Andreas

 On Wed, 9 May 2012 13:48:38 +0700, Koos Hagg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Only recently have I started using databases more often. I like
> Spatialite for its single file solution, I can easily share data with
> others... PostGIS is great too, happy that they have 64 Windows now.
>
> Performance wise- in QGIS:
> Is it better to have one big Database (PostGIS or Spatialite or
> whatever) with all of your layers/tables in there, or to have several
> smaller databases, each containing their own family of data
>
> For example,
> I could have one database for OSM data from Geofabrik, one database
> with Natural Earth data, and one database with my own data., etc
>
> -or-
>
> I could stuff all of those into one big database.
>
> Which approach is the better practice? Will accessing several
> databases in QGIS at the same time vs one big db be any different in
> performance?
>
> If I'm working with PostGIS, would it make sense to separate the
> different data groups (OSM, Natural Earth, etc) into different
> schemas? Would there be any benefit to that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Koos

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A