[Qgis-user] how to rotate a line?

M.E.Dodd m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk
Wed May 9 06:44:16 PDT 2012

I would like to put some transect lines across a stream so would like to draw a line a certain distance long e.g. 50m, preferably with markers at each 10m along it then position the transect across the stream.  There are many transects to be positioned along the squiggly stream and they all should be at 90 degrees to the stream so each one needs to be rotated a different amount.  I would like to be able to produce one 50m line with the 10m markers then just duplicate it and position at the different locations rotated appropriately.
I have tried the normal editing tools and some of the plugins such as the cad like ones but none seem to be able to do this.  Any ideas?

A more advanced version of this would be to have a tool that could generate transect lines of any distance long with markers at any set interval and to be able to position and rotate this but also to be able to automatically get out the coordinates for each sampling position so they could be entered into a gps.  I think there was talk of an ecological toolbox some months ago, this might be a useful tool to go into it.

Dr Mike Dodd
Department of Environment, Earth and Ecosystems
The Open University
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA