[Qgis-user] Re: OSGB coordinates to WGS84 lat/lon problem

Andy Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 10 09:49:44 PDT 2012

Hi Nick,

Have you tried the convertor here:
http://gps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/convert.asp
to see whether the higher accuracy coordinates obtained from QGIS match
those obtained using OSTN02?

It looks as though Proj4 can use grid based transformations like OSTN02
through the use of gsb files. Could it be that this is the case in the
higher accuracy situation? I find gsb files at the following location on
my Win7 QGIS 1.7.4 install:
C:\OSGeo4W\share\proj

I can't see any files in this directory suggesting they are the OSTN02
grid though, and I can reproduce your 'Vista' results as follows,
suggesting that my QGIS is using the lower accuracy seven parameter
transform.

The OSTN02 gsb can be downloaded here:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/gps/osnetfreeservices/furtherinfo/ostn02_ntv2.html
Referencing it in Proj4 is described here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/GenParms#nadgrids-GridBasedDatumAdjustments

BUT I haven't tried this!

Andy