[Qgis-user] Re: Closure of forum, one month on.

T. Gray Shaw tgray at arborartist.com
Fri May 11 07:21:40 PDT 2012

I am a new user.  I have been lurking on this list for about three months.  Now I am unsubscribing.  SE is better for my needs; discussion here is mostly over my head.  I am grateful that qgis-user exists, and I can re-join when I need to.

The discussion on this thread ("Closure of forum") helped me know how to proceed.  I learned about the forum as it was closing, because of this discussion, and so I'm neutral about its closure.  I'm just happy to have SE.

I agree that there is no easy, clear way for a new user to orientate to the software or to the online resources.  But is has been possible, and that is enough for me.

Thanks and ciao,
- Gray

On May 9, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Paulo van Breugel wrote:

> I think there has been a monthly growth in the use of the SE for some time now. This makes me wonder how the increase observed below compares to the longer term average monthly increase. Also, one would need to consider other means of communication, e..g, the email list might have absorbed part of the Q&A 'traffic'
>
> I agree that it is very important (too) how well the SE functions in terms of questions being answered and whether it functions for both questions asked by relative beginners and for more advanced users. For me personally, the forum felt like an easier way of communicating. On the other hand, the email list offers much if not all of that functionality by providing an easy and informal way of asking questions or discussing specific topics (like this one :-)).
>

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM, <jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk> wrote:
> Looking at it from the other angle, there appear to have been ~100 threads with replies made to them in the "Help" section of the forum in March and about the same number for February. So the increase in the GIS.Stackexchange seems to coincide with the former usage of the forums with Nathan's stats.
>
> For another (probably more important) metric:
>         On average about 20-30% of the threads in that forum didn't get any replies at all. How many of the GIS.Stackexchange questions are actually being answered? There appear to be 88 tagged unanswered QGIS questions:
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/unanswered/tagged/qgis
>
> Jonathan
>

> From:        Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>
> To:        Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com>
> Cc:        qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Date:        09/05/2012 10:22
> Subject:        Re: [Qgis-user] Re: Closure of forum, one month on.
> Sent by:        qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
>

> So the stats are in for March, April, and some of May, using the query http://data.stackexchange.com/gis/query/68778/how-many-posts-per-month-for-a-tag?TagName=qgis
>
> The results are:
>
> 02-2012 = 346
> 03-2012 =  400
> 04-2012 =  556
> 05-2012 =  596
>
> Some pretty sharp increases there.
>
> - Nathan
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the last month of its existence about 130 new topics were created on the
> forum. It appears that during the same period about 54 new topics tagged
> 'QGIS' were created on Stack Exchange (SE) GIS. It is of course obvious that
> there has been an increase in QGIS questions on SE following the closure of
> the forum, but I think it is unlikely that all, or possibly even most, of
> the people who used to post on the forum have shifted to SE. However, for
> obvious reasons there can be no firm evidence to support this proposition;
> usage statistics are not enough.

> [...]

T. Gray Shaw
ISA Certified Arborist # WE-1037
Redway and Berkeley, CA