[Qgis-user] Node Tool not working

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon May 14 23:19:35 PDT 2012

 yes - that's right. The node tool is only for editing existing
 geometries. Not to create new ones.

 Did you try the node tool on existing geometries or to add a new
 geometry? If you want to add new geometries you need to use the "Add
 Feature" Button in the digitizing toolbar. Once you added a new feature
 (incl. the attributes) than you can start modifying it with the node
 tool.

 You should also make sure that the snapping options make sense (if you
 use snapping at all) - either set in map units (meters, feet, degrees)
 or in pixels.

 Hope this helps,
 Andreas

 On Tue, 15 May 2012 08:52:10 +0800, Ramon Andiñach wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> "Could not snap to segment"?
> If so, it means that the Node Tool couldn't find anything to work on
> where you clicked.
>
> My understanding is that the Node Tool is for editing existing
> shapes. There should be a button two to the left of the Node Tool
> called Capture Polygon (or Line or Point depending on the shape file
> type) and I use that to draw a polygon.
>
> Hope that's helpful. If not, it might be useful to the others to know
> which version of QGIS you're using and your OS.
>
> -ramon.
>
> On 15/05/2012, at 7:54, Jay Dixon <dixonjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm a new QGIS User, so I apologize in advance for the remedial
>> nature of my question. Checked the postings to see if this question
>> has come up before and it appears that it has not.
>>
>> Whenever I create a shape file layer to draw shapes, QGIS will not
>> allow me to draw polygons using the Node Tool.  I used to get some
>> warning message about setting precision, snapping, or something
>> similar.  I  followed the instructions in the message with no success.
>> I got tired of seeing the message so eventually checked the box
>> 'don't show this message'.  Now nothing happens when I try to draw a
>> polygon and I can't remember exactly what the message said and there
>> doesn't seem to be an option for displaying these types of messages
>> again.
>>
>> Is anybody familiar with how to resolve this problem?  Thanks.
>>
>> Jay Dixon

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)