[Qgis-user] was the error with ordnance survey coordinate systems sorted out?

M.E.Dodd m.e.dodd at open.ac.uk
Thu May 17 06:27:28 PDT 2012

There were a whole series of messages about the problem converting between wgs84 and OS but I see in the latest versions of qgis 1.8 on windowsxp it still seems to be an issue.
When designing field experiments I have produced a shapefile in wgs84 in qgis exported the points to csv then converted the wgs84 coordinates to OS using gridinquest (the standard os converter that uses the full accuracy conversion) then plotted the points back in qgis and they are about 5m away from where they show in wgs84.  I am pretty sure this did not use to be the case, the points in both coordinate systems were on top of each other, which suggests something has broken in qgis.  Also when drawing points in an OS layer exactly on top of the wgs84 points in qgis then exporting these they come out as being a few metres away from the converted wgs84 points so there is definitely some inconsistency somewhere.
It is particularly important for me to get this right as the new experiments have to fit in between the existing long-term recording and not damage it, we use sub-metre gps for setout and there are no markers in the field to indicate where the long-term recording is.

Dr Mike Dodd
Department of Environment, Earth and Ecosystems
The Open University
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA