[Qgis-user] Label missing in Weekly

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Aug 1 15:28:46 PDT 2013

mhm,

Nathan, you wrote in the ticket:
"String + NULL = NULL. We don't treat NULL as empty string because it's
not correct to do so. NULL and empty mean two different things so are
treated differently."

Sorry, but for "what" is that not correct? This might apply to database
actions etc. but forcing user to make somersaults with "coalesce" (what
the f... is that???) to prevent empty labels ... hey! It's just labeling!

Making labeling a nerd-discipline is not fair ;)

Just my 2 cents
Bernd

Am 02.08.2013, 00:02 Uhr, schrieb Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>:

> Hey,
>
> QgsExpression doesn't treat NULL and Empty string as the same thing.
> Which
> is why we don't auto convert.  To convert nulls in a field you should use
> the coalesce("Areatype",'')
>
> See http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8369
>
> - Nathan
>

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Larry Shaffer
> <larrys at dakotacarto.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Lene,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Lene Fischer <lfi at life.ku.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Goyo
>>> The geometries is OK.
>>> I have a combined label Ex.
>>> Areatype || '\n' ||  $Area   || ' m2'
>>> Now I found that if one field is empty (Even if there is NULL in the
>>> field), then the entire label will not be displayed.
>>>

>> When the expression-based label text was introduced, NULL values
>> supposedly where just converted to empty strings [0], i.e. if Areatype
>> was
>> NULL, one would expect at least 'm2' to be present in the label.
>>
>> Try enclosing your field name Areatype in double quotes. Also, try
>> without
>> the $Area function, but still with the || concatenation. If the label
>> still
>> does not contain any text, then it is probably a bug in how
>> QgsExpression
>> handles NULL values from the data provider. If so, please create an
>> issue
>> ticket [1]. Include a test project file, and try to list reproducible
>> steps, if you can.
>>
>> [0]
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Expression-based-labeling-tp4100735p4100736.html
>> [1] http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/issues
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Larry
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Lene

Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374