[Qgis-user] Feature Discussion

Steven Campbell s.campbell at poole.gov.uk
Tue Aug 27 03:50:45 PDT 2013

Hi all

After a brief conversation with a couple of people on Twitter I was wondering what the community's thoughts were on the following:

Adding a button into Joins section/tab under Layer Properties that would enable a user to join a tabular dataset (csv, txt etc) to an existing layer in QGIS. You can do this at present, by first brining in a Delimited Text Layer and then running the join, but I think that adding this button would make it easier/quicker for a user to join tabular data in QGIS. I'd especially see this being useful with datasets that have a geographic reference column i.e. a postcode column, but no geospatial co-ordinate reference system (Easting and Northing). I would also add that this is a similar function to what is available in most commercial GIS packages...

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions before raising as a feature request (if deemed a good idea!)

Thanks

Steve

Steve Campbell
GIS Manager
Corporate Strategy and Communications
Borough of Poole | Civic Centre | Poole BH15 2RU
Tel: 01202 633 362
Email: s.campbell at poole.gov.uk<mailto:s.campbell at poole.gov.uk>
Website:www.boroughofpoole.com<http://www.boroughofpoole.com/>
Think Green! Please Recycle