[Qgis-user] OSX - QGIS not loading Grass plugin

Graeme Merrall dasfreak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 23:04:14 PDT 2013

I'm trying to get the Grass plugin to load in QGIS in OSX Mountain Lion.

QGIS ver: 1.8.0 (kyngchaos)
Grass ver: 6.4 (kyngchaos)
GDAL ver: 1.10 (kyngchaos with Grass plugin)
Python: 2.7.2

The error I'm getting is:
Failed to load
/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgrassplugin.so
(Reason: Cannot load library
/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgrassplugin.so:
(dlopen(/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgrassplugin.so,
5): Library not loaded:
/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgrass_gis.6.4.2.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/PlugIns/qgis/libgrassplugin.so
  Reason: image not found))

Following errors include libgrassprovider and libgrassrasterprovider.

>From from searching about I saw very old references to fftw install (tried,
no joy) and tweaking your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  For LD_LIBRARY_PATH I exported
both the QGIS plugins dir and Grass lib dir and started QGIS from the
command line - still didn't work.

Can anyone point out what's going wrong?