[Qgis-user] Reprojection issue QGis 1.8

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 06:47:19 PDT 2013

Hello,

I have a raster file (GeoTIFF and netCDF grid) of the Tonga region, so has
the longitude/latitude limits like:
-180 to -170; -26 to -12

I used GMT to reproject the original Geographic grid from WGS84 to UTM Zone
1S (WGS84), and created a GeoTIFF of the data. Both files will load into a
new project file no problem.

However, if the project CRS is changed to say Geographic again (WGS84),
QGIS will crash  with the following error message:

The whole thing just hangs and the only way to quit, is to kill it via the
Task Manager.

If on-the-fly transform is set, then as long as the program knows what
projection each layer is, be it vector or raster, then it should be able to
transform it. When loading the raster in I ensured it had the correct
spatial attribution, so that is not the problem.

The same error occurs if I load the same raster (or grid) into a project in
Geographic coordinates. Another GeoTIFF with the same projection (and from
the same UTMzone) loads fine.

Is there an issue transforming data close to 180 degrees?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Lester