[Qgis-user] Image Stitching help

Dan Beavers dan.beavers at acm.org
Sun Dec 1 16:43:44 PST 2013

On Sunday December 1 2013 12:00:09 qgis-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 07:08:08 +0100
> From: Andre Joost <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de>
> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Image Stitching help
>
> Am 30.11.2013 16:32, schrieb Dan Beavers:
> > I am using 2.0.1-Dufour and looking for documentation on how to stitch
> > some raster images together. The original images are jpg and when I did an
> > add raster layer the image was not recognizable. The jpg images of course
> > do not have any location associated with them. I then used Gimp to convert
> > them to tiff (not geotiff) and they load as good looking raster layers.
> > There is no CRS associated with these images, they are just spatially
> > related to each other.
> >
> > 1) Do I have to convert all of my pictures to tiff
> > or is there some way to load jpg raster images that do not distort beyond
> > recognition?
>
> There are some kinds of jpeg compressions and colour paletting that QGIS
> does not understand. If you have such files, converting them with gimp
> to a more common format is the best way.

OK I guess I have to convert them.  Hope I can find a batch command.

> > 2) Where can I find documentation on how to stitch my images
> > together? I have not found the documentation for that process yet.
>
> Once you have georeferenced all your images, you can create a virtual
> raster to adress them as a single layer. Off course, stitching them in
> gimp is also possible.

The images will be georeferenced to the reference image.

>From your description of what I need to do it appears that I can't do what I
want.  (Coming from that "other" GIS software.)  I want to click on a point on
the reference image and then click on the same location on the distorted
image.  Do this 3 or more times (not in a line) and then tell it to transform.
Is there some other package/program that will do this?  I don't think Gimp
works this way.