[Qgis-user] How to limit the extent of my map

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 18:04:41 PST 2013

Hello. I have recently entered the GIS/QGIS world. Basically I have an
interest in astronomy and want to produce an eclipse visibility map
for India. (Apologies that my interests in GIS are for now not any
deeper than that...)

I only want to produce the map for India and decided upon a "square"
region bounded by 5 N ~ 40 N and 65 E ~ 100 E. However I'm not sure
how to limit the extent of the map in QGIS. The slightest drag or the
slightest click with the hand tool seems to change the extent. Now
clicking to zoom/unzoom is fine but I really don't want QGIS to spend
time updating the rest of the globe rendering and more than that in my
final output I only want a PDF or PNG showing the above region.

I did search the QGIS PDF manual for the keyword "extent" but whatever
I found did not seem to answer what I was looking for. I am afraid to
go to gis.stackexchange for fear that a noob question might be
downvoted. So I turn to the mailing list. Thanks for your patience and
help!

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा