[Qgis-user] Weekly builds and JP2 files

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Dec 18 04:51:35 PST 2013

Hi,

Speed difference comes probably from the GDAL driver. I have no idea about what it means to add JP2ECW driver to GDAL and QGIS. I can see that there is a dll file "gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll" in a directory "C:\Program Files\QGIS Dufour\bin\gdalplugins" but I do not know if the plugin and GDAL must be compiled together or if even QGIS must be compiled in the same pipe.

-Jukka-

Jonathan Moules wrote:

Hi Jukka,
  I'm only seeing the JP2OpenJPEG in there (this is for the weeklies, I've uninstalled my 2.0 so can't check that).

So I guess given the behaviour/speed difference that 2.0 comes with the JP2ECW driver? Would it be much effort to add to the weeklies? Or is there a way to for me to easily add it post-install?

Thanks,
Jonathan

<jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk<mailto:jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk>> wrote:
> Hi List,
> A question about the weekly builds (www.qgis.org/downloads/weekly<http://www.qgis.org/downloads/weekly>). They
seem to struggle with loading JP2 files using the usual raster dialog. First
they're incredibly slow, but on top of that when they do load they tend to
be some sort of horrible mess of lots of black of random colours in a
griddish pattern or similar.

> Do the weekly builds not include a functional JP2 reader? The same rasters
work just fine in the stable release 2.0.1.
Hi,

Check what drivers are baked into GDAL. In Windows you can go to QGIS Dufour
directory, set the environment by running osgeo4w.bat and then you can list
the JP2 drivers as

C:\Program Files\QGIS Dufour>gdal_translate --formats |find "JP2"
  JP2ECW (rov): ERDAS JPEG2000 (SDK 5.0)
  JP2OpenJPEG (rwv): JPEG-2000 driver based on OpenJPEG library

JP2ECW is fast and JP2OpenJPEG is sometimes almost usable. JP2KAK is very
good but that you can't get without Kakadu license. JP2MrSID used to be fast
also but I do not know what is the status with the license.

If there are several drivers for JPEG2000 GDAL is using the first on the
list. You can skip a driver by setting GDAL_SKIP environment. Thus, if I
would like to have a try with JP2OpenJPEG I should run SET GDAL_SKIP=JP2ECW
first. No idea really how and where I should do it so that QGIS starts with
that setting.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.