[Qgis-user] Help! Problem with labels

mgincnj michael.goldstein7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 12:34:03 PST 2013

OK, for the record, I managed to figure out the issue.

When I created the columns x, y, and rotation, I was accepting the defaults
for a Real value which was Width 1, Precision 0.  I wasn't quite sure what
they meant, but I figured these values were irrelevant, since a double
precision number is a double precision number, right?  Wrong!  Turns out the
GQIS editor formats the numbers to these values when it saves the file...
I'm guessing that width is the total number of digits saved, and precision
is the number of values to the right of the decimal point (though that may
be wrong).

In any event, I was looking at the values in the attribute table while still
in edit mode, and the values were fine.  When saved, however, they got
truncated to non-sensical (im)precision (i.e. 1 character wide), and the
labels disappeared.  Once I reset the values to something with enough width
to store the values, it started working fine.

I would suggest this is a UI bug.  The "default" values for a real number
should be something useful.