[Qgis-user] LIDAR and QGIS

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Feb 26 16:14:22 PST 2013

Hi,

> >> Thank for the information ! Adding that to the existing 3d capabilities
> >> of postgis would be a great thing. I hope that Paul will go beyond zlib
> >> for the compression.

I doubt about Paul reading this thread. Point cloud implementation is
independant of 3D, and even of PostGIS for now. It is also really new.

> I know that postgis recently(?) included / added in some 3D
> capabilities, but I'm not sure what parts of QGIS are able to use
> those. I didn't think that we'd reached 3D visualisation with QGIS
> yet?

As for now, 3D in postgis only exists in a specific branch on git. It is not
incorporated into postgis trunk. That will be subject to discussion at the
next Boston code sprint in march.
As for QGIS support, it is highly experimental. We managed to get the globe
plugin read 3D objects, but it required modification in the OsgEarth toolkit
and the globe plugin itself. Patches have been sent upstream, but do not
expect to find it working in any available binary qgis distribution.
And it needs a lot of work to get something really useful.

You will find some more infos and videos here :
https://github.com/Oslandia/presentations/tree/master/fosdem_2013

We are working hard on the subject, and no doubt at some point Paul's work on
point cloud and 3D stuff will meet :)

Vincent