[Qgis-user] Newbie with request for advice

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Jan 4 05:57:31 PST 2013

Hi Art,

So I've got QGIS running on windows and linux. I haven't tried to
compile file geodatabase support into my linux install (that's on my
list to do). On my windows install I'm running OSGeo4Win - adding file
based geodatabase support was easy - I just added the "module" and had
support (I'm currently on my linux machine and not near my windows
machine - or I would tell you exactly what I added).

My windows machine is running Windows 7 64bit - my linux machine is
running xubuntu. I own a consulting business and have ArcGIS running on
my windows machine. There's not way I'm ever going to windows 8. So I'm
sticking with windows 7 for ESRI and migrating as much of my workflow
over to linux as I can...as I tell people - A clip is a clip and a
buffer is a buffer. So I'll do what I can on linux and when I have to go
with ESRI I'll jump over to windows.

Now that I read all of this - I should really try to compile file based
support on this laptop over the weekend.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com