[Qgis-user] [Ubuntu] MrSID for QGIS 1.8 in Ubuntu Precise

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Jan 13 10:21:40 PST 2013

Am 15.09.2012, 20:58 Uhr, schrieb Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com>:

> Workaround is to compile it yourself, I guess you have to compile gdal
> + mrSID using manual procedures.
> It's not much harder than building gdal only.
>
> Etienne

Digging out this old thread, cause the situation didn't change so far.
I'm wondering why Windows-Users get MrSid-support "out of the box", while
Linux users(!) seem to be supposed to be born with a brain2shell-interface
and "of course" know how to compile that stuff themselves ... ("Not much
harder than building gdal only" huhahaa ... sniff ...)

1. Does anyone know why the package guys do not care for MrSid anymore?
(And what can be done to change that?)
2. Could anyone give me an "easy" workflow for building that stuff without
wrecking my system?

Cheers
Bernd

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Pedro Jorge de Sousa Ferreira
> <pedrof at utad.pt> wrote:
>> The UbuntuGIS repository only has libgdal-mrsid package for Ubuntu
>> Lucid and
>> Oneiric. There's a new Ubuntu distro just around the corner (12.10), but
>> still no signs of libgdal-mrsid for Ubuntu Precise. So I was wondering
>> if
>> there's a work around to open MrSID images in QGIS 1.8 on a Ubuntu 12.04
>> machine.
>>

>> --

Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374