[Qgis-user] Customized projection

Leo Kris Palao lk.palao at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 19:02:05 PDT 2013

Dear QGIS Community,

Good Day!

I am currently working with a project that covers the whole country. My
problem is if I want to compute for perimeter, area, and when using terrain
analysis modules, the spatial datasets should be projected. But the country
covers two UTM zones and I want to use a much broader scale projection. I
want to use the Equal Area Cylindrical > *NSIDC EASE-Grid Global
Projection*but I want to set the central meridian to be in the middle
of my country of
interest. In this case, I can minimize the distortions in my country of
interest, right? I do not know what parameter should I change to do it.
Below is the code for the abovementioned projection.

+proj=cea +lon_0=0 +lat_ts=30 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +a=6371228 +b=6371228 +units=m
+no_defs

Thanks in advance.

-Leo