[Qgis-user] Problems changing Lambert's projection

Sergio A Estay sergio.estay at uach.cl
Sun Jul 14 16:00:56 PDT 2013

Hi everybody,

I have an annoying problem with the projection of an land cover map. I
downloaded the USGS land use cover in this page:

http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/tablambert_sa.php in Lambert azimuthal equal
area projection.

the cover is an .img file; however, it is impossible to open it with
qgis and even arcgis. In a website I found a guide to open this file.
First I change the extension to .bil an create a hdr file according to
the geometric characteristics available in this in the documentation of
the cover:

http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/sadoc1_2.php#lamaz

the final hdr file looks:

nrows 8000
ncols 6000
nbands 1
nbits 8
ulxmap -3000000
ulymap 3100000
xdim 1000
ydim 1000

My problem is that I can't change the projection to geographic
coordinates/WGS84. This happened with all covers in this webpage. I am
working in qgis 1.8 in ubuntu 12.04.

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Sergio A. Estay

--
Sergio A. Estay
Inst. Ciencias Ambientales y Evolutivas