[Qgis-user] QGIS to ArcGIS

Mike Shand Mike.Shand at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Jun 4 00:20:26 PDT 2013

HI Andreas,

As both an ArcGIS and QGIS user I often run courses and workshops for
new or potential users particularity in the UK and Africa.

I currently have a client who uses ArcGIS as their main mapping software
but has limited licences available.  They wish to have their field staff
trained in using basic GIS to import and view GPS data collected in the
field over GIS features (rivers, roads, admin bdys etc) or Google/Bing
imagery with a view to producing location type maps for draft reports
while out of the office.  It is then their intention to bring the maps
into ArcGIS to enable their professional GIS cartographers to produce
any final mapping.  It would be ideal to be able to bring both the QGIS
symbol design and layout into ArcGIS rather than having to redo this
work again in ArcGIS using the GIS data files (shapefile; gpx etc).

As I suspected it now looks like this will be the only solution, I will
therefore encourage the client to create custom symbol specifications
and layout templates to ensure the mapping has a consistent design and
layout.  QGIS will undertake all the data input and analysis tasks
required by the client's field staff and has many other advantages of
use due to is portable nature.

As a professional cartographer I find the symbol design and layout
facilities in QGIS very limiting for producing publication quality maps
and would normally undertake any final map design and production in
ArcGIS or Adobe Illustrator (with Avenza MaPublisher).

Thanks to all for their comments.

Regards,
Mike

************************************