[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.0 Timeline updates

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:19:12 PDT 2013

Tim

Please forgive the question, but is it possible to estimate whether the
time past June 25 will be measured in days, weeks, or months?

I'm planning on installing QGIS on an image that will be put in a computer
lab for the next year. When I saw this announcement, I had planned to use
QGIS 1.8, but now it looks like the earliest the image could actually be
deployed would by July 15. So if there is a chance 2.0 would release would
be by then, I would probably wait.

Best,
--Lee

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Just an updated timeline for the release:
>
> * Hard feature freeze effective today (11 June 2013) - this means no
> new features will make their way into the final QGIS 2.0 release.
> * String freeze 25 June 2013 (only critical string changes needed for
> bug fixing will be allowed after that point)
>
> The actual release date will be determined when we have dealt with the
> blocker tickets in the ticket queue.
>
> I know many of you have been patiently waiting for the 2.0 release but
> there were many features that needed polishing and inclusion and this
> has caused some delays. Right now we have a lot of work to do to make
> QGIS 2.0 stable and usable for everyone. As a general appeal could I
> encourage you to:
>
> * take the master builds (snapshots of the codebase that will become
> QGIS 2.0) for a test drive and report issues you encounter using it
> with your favourite datasets. Master builds are freely downloadable at
>  [1] (there is a standalone windows build here : [2])
> * if you have the financial means to do so, sponsor the fixing of one
> or more blocker issues [3]. The best way to do this is to make direct
> contact with a QGIS developer and negotiate a small contract with them
> to do the work. There are also a number of commercial support
> providers who may be able to offer this service for you listed on our
> web site [4]
>
> Lastly here are some frequently asked questions and answers:
>
> Q: Why dont you make alpha / beta releases?
>
> A: We have nightly builds of master for all major platforms - its a
> waste of effort to also make alpha etc releases.
>
> Q: You said the release would be ready last week / month / year /
> century. What gives?
>
> A: We are an open source project dependent largely on volunteer effort
> and the sponsored contributions from a number of companies. We don't
> have any dedicated team focused entirely on stabilisation and bug
> fixing. This means that we can't just pour more staff / resources into
> making sure a release comes out on time, instead we release when the
> software is ready.
>
> Q: So QGIS 2.0 is going to be perfect?
>
> A: Probably not, but you can help us to make it as close to perfect as
> humanly feasible. We highly recommend that you test with the master
> build and help to identify issues by means of carefully lodged tickets
> in our issue tracker [5]. Even with all the QA we can do, you should
> still expect to encounter some issues since the code base has had a
> massive overhaul and it is not possible for us to test all scenarios
> that our hundreds of thousands of users use QGIS for.
>
> Q: Is QGIS 2.0 going to break all my styling / projects / plugins?
>
> A: While we are trying to preserve backwards compatibility where
> possible, in some cases we couldn't / don't want to preserve
> compatibility due to architectural changes in the code base.
>
> Q: Is it true that the name 'Quantum GIS' is changing?

> [...]

Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College
http://freecity.commons.gc.cuny.edu/