[Qgis-user] questions about the FOSSGIS 2013 benchmark comparisons between QGIS Server and UMN Mapserver

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Sat Jun 22 08:24:53 PDT 2013

 >It is important that you test QGIS master not QGIS 1.8. QGIS 1.8 was
definitely slower than UMN, but in master there are performance
improvements in the server part. Marco >knows the details.

There have been a lot of performance improvements in QGIS core (e.g. the
new raster system, svg cache, more performant coordinate reprojection,
CRS and Coordinate transform cache, project file cache, ...).

Nore that the benchmark especially measures the scalability of the WMS
server (many concurrent requests). For scalability, it is important that
as much is CPU-based and data comes from RAM rather than from disk.
While a desktop user e.g. does not notice a request to the sqlite DB to
lookup a CRS definition, this small disk access had a big impact on
scalability. Similarly for SVG files, project files, coordinate
transformations. All these things are cached now on first usage.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler