[Qgis-user] Colouring lines

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Fri Mar 22 00:14:02 PDT 2013

Hi Brett,

Yes you show them in different colours using a 'categorized' style.

However, you cannot save these colours in the shapefile since the format
does not support styling. But you have a few options:

1. Save your QGIS project, including the coloured layer, as a project
file (*.qgs)
2. Save your layer style as a QGIS map layer file (*.qml)

And hopefully soon in a new version of QGIS (check:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/859):

3. Add an extra field to your shapefile in which you store the rgb
colour codes and create a data defined colour style on it.

Good luck,
Raymond

On 03/22/2013 07:51 AM, Brett Adams wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> I have 4 separate lines in one shp file. Can I colour them each
> differently and give them each  a different pen style?  Will these
> characteristics them be saved when into the shp file?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> *Brett Adams*
>
> *Spinifex Geophysics*
>
> *0438 861 974*