[Qgis-user] How do I georeference an xls file opened in QGIS 2.0

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Nov 5 11:41:10 PST 2013

Cheers...

I don't want to create shapefiles or csv's, etc, from spreadsheets,  I just want to plot *.xls files which contain x/y columns on the map.

I sort of figured that if a GIS tool can open an xls file this would be pretty basic functionality... perhaps optimistically :-)

The use case I'm envisaging is a live Excel spreadsheet used to store data. New rows (records) are added as appropriate. A QGIS project includes the spreadsheet as a current layer - so a QGIS user can open the spreadsheet, as well as other map layers, & save the project. Reopening the project would automatically plot all the rows in the spreadsheet on the map.

The only ways I can see to achieve this functionality involve recreating another copy of the spreadsheet in another format before I can view the points on the map. Which is an annoying extra few steps every time I want to view the spreadsheet.

Is this worth filing a ticket for? Perhaps add some extra functionality in the vector layer dialogue: if the file type opened is an xls, allow the user to (optionally) specify the column identifiers for the X & Y coords & the SRID to apply?

Brent Wood