[Qgis-user] Overview map window tracking

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Nov 6 07:35:52 PST 2013

On 2013/11/06 16:59, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 06-11-13 15:34, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm using 2.0.1.
>>
>> Is there a way to open a small map window that can be zoomed to your
>> projects AOI.
>> Then, as you zoom around your working map window, a rectangle box can be
>> shown in the above window, giving you some perspective of where you are
>> currently working.
> Hi Zoltan,
>
> yep, that is called 'overview' :-)
>
> if you do see it, make it appear via: View/Panels/Overview
>
> After loading one of your reference layers in QGIS, add it to the
> overview via right-mouse on layer in Legend, and then 'Show in overview'.
> That layer will be shown in the overview, with a red box for the current
> map extent.
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Richard,
Hmmm... Ja,   that's exactly what I tried, but it didn't work so I sent
my email.

It didn't work because I wanted a "group" to be in my overview window.
Now that I try it on the individual maps, it does work.
Bit of a pain doing them 1 by 1, but at least it works.

In the long run it would be nice to be able to act on a "group" -
whether for querying, editing or adding to overviews.

Thanks for the quick response.

Kind regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za