[Qgis-user] Joining with Multiple Locations per Person

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 10:02:51 PST 2013

On 11/16/2013 07:27 PM, Sasa Sullivan wrote:
> I am looking for a process for genealogy, to join one person to
> multiple people whose ancestors hail from many different geographical
> locations in order to query the program for those who live in close
> proximity to each other (each person involved has multiple locations
> actually). Is this possible, as my spreadsheet has many columns with
> different locations, must I make a separate line item for each
> location? I would also need a way to query the results as I am only
> vaguely familiar with the query function from a community college
> course I took a few years back, the class used Arcgis and not QGIS. I
> am working with QGIS version 2.0.1 but will adjust to earlier versions
> if I had a instructions or a tutorial.
> Sasa

This request is a little vague. What is a record in you data? One
person? What location data do you have per person? At a guess, this is
something that can be done without any spatial data, i.e. Person A is
linked to New York City, Person B is linked to New York City, therefore
Person A is linked to Person B. Even if New York City has a spatial
representation associated with it, the join operation would go much
faster if you did it as an attribute join (by the name or code
representing the location) rather than a spatial join. This is something
I would tend to do in pure SQL.

But I could be misunderstanding your intention. Some more detail would
be helpful.

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor in Geography, Dartmouth College