[Qgis-user] network building tool

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Nov 20 13:38:45 PST 2013

>   Graphviz (http://www.graphviz.org/) will do most of what you
> described, but I don't think you can specify the coordinates of the
> nodes (that would be nice) so the result is just a diagram, not a map .
Not exactly.

Via
Representation of network flows /
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/778/representation-of-network-flows

I found JFlowMap.

It uses the approach I described:
https://code.google.com/p/jflowmap/wiki/HowToPrepareData

I just don't know if it can also export to shape...

[question off-list:]
> do you mean something that just draw the lines or that will
create/manage actual line features?
A line drawing tool which would allow to maintain connections of lines
if nodes are shifted.

The background for all is that the simlation and design tools for
networks can export lines (e.g. power lines, telecom lines) or nodes as
lists but no logical structure.
A typical schema:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electricity_Grid_Schematic_English.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:One-line_diagram.svg

So I wonder how others are transferring such information into the
GIS/geo domain.

Regards,
Timmie