[Qgis-user] Any consistent way to get Print Composer and OpenLayers to play nicely?

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Thu Nov 21 06:01:13 PST 2013

In short, I'm trying to create PDF maps that include polygon shapefiles
over an OpenLayers Google Maps layer (OSM would work, too, I just need a
street-map baselayer to identify features).

However, even on 2.1.0-Master, bug 5827 (http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5827)
still presents problems—the resulting PDF is, more often than not, a
combination of poorly aligned or mis-scaled layers. It seems that most
often, the Google Maps layer is at a different scale and somewhat offset
from the shapefile layer.

My shapefile layer are in EPSG 3857.

My experience has been that if I repeatedly go through these steps:
1. Re-scale or reposition the map in the composer (by very small
increments, more to force a redraw than anything else)
2. Export to PDF

I eventually get a correct PDF output. Sometimes, I get better results by
exiting the print composer and the re-entering it, and sometimes I need to
exit QGIS entirely and then re-enter the print composer...and even then, I
sometimes have to repeatedly make the map redraw before getting the right
output. Exiting and re-entering is particularly obnoxious at this point
given the bug that results in OpenLayers layers not reappearing when
reopening a project.

Does anyone have a set of workaround steps for creating a PDF from print
composer that works consistently? I can live with a workaround, but I'd
really like to have a consistent one, and I have yet to come up with a set
of steps that consistently produces the correct output.

Thanks.