[Qgis-user] MrSID raster and QGIS in linux

Eric Goddard egoddard1010 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 08:45:15 PST 2013

It isn't strictly true that you're crap out of luck--you just have to
download the mrsid API and register it with ldconfig. Depending on
your system, sometimes there are gdal plugins that you can then
install. This is how it is setup on Debian based systems. If there
isn't a plugin available, then you have to compile gdal with MrSid
support. Because MrSid is proprietary, gdal can't be distributed with
support built in. I wrote a guide for some friends for compiling the
GIS stack with MrSid/ECW support, but it is for ubuntu-based systems.
I'm posting the link here, perhaps it will help in getting it set up
in Fedora. Most of the actual compilation instructions should work,
but the dependencies and paths will be different.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TjWU_9gnUkayVAky3GGanPaQT-t453HLcWrITZX5Zrc/edit?usp=sharing

Eric