[Qgis-user] Issues using Points in polygon with PostGIS layer

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 12:30:16 PST 2013

I was using `Vector → Analysis Tools → Points in polygon` to count
events in a hexgrid (created with MMQGIS). The point data came from a
PostGIS layer. The layer has a query restriction and the filtered data
set has ~230k points. When I run it, it just crashes (sometimes
immediately, sometimes after several seconds). When I export the PostGIS
layer to shapefile and run it, it works (although it takes ~2 hours to run).

Are there issues with using this feature with PostGIS layers? Is it the
size of the dataset?

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor in Geography, Dartmouth College