[Qgis-user] including images in (database) attributes

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Nov 25 14:10:09 PST 2013

Cheers Niklaas,

The website is developed using the Silverstripe CMS, rainer at silverstripe.com is the guy behind the web mapping stuff. The images are retrieved using a custom web service, from a local image database (now with several 100,000 images). Commercial application called Atlas (www.atlamd.com).

We funded the development of a map search for images in Atlas, which we are looking to update at present. See the map searchtool at
https://atlas.niwa.co.nz/public.jsp

Enable Assets - images (right of map)
update the map (button top right of map)
(don't zoom right now - the back end web map server is broken)

Choose the left hand Marquee selection tool (box)
draw a box around some area with images on the map
the images in that box will be displayed...
 (note that I've just added about 16,000 echogram images - they are being processed, with thumbnails, etc being generated in a low priority background job - so you'll see lots of entries with no thumbnails until that completes)

This also seems to be very similar to the sort of facility you are looking at implementing - images associated with features (or locations) on a map which can be previewed & downloaded.

I'm considering developing a QGIS plugin to provide similar access from a map based desktop - part of this initiative: http://www.niwa.co.nz/software/quantum-map

Brent