[Qgis-user] [Qgis-developer] Shortcut changes in QGIS; call for opinions

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Nov 28 22:56:48 PST 2013

On 28-11-13 23:19, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Given that adding/removing a complex layer can be expensive and there is
> no undo I would suggest to have a single key shortcut (D) with confirm
> and a modified one without (Ctrl-D).  You want to avoid the user doing
> something dangerous and in this case that is removing a layer layer
> without undo.

Personally I do not like to add more then one key for the same action,
keep stuff simple.

Although we could make confirmation an option, the number of options in
the options dialogs are also growing and growing. I've already a lot of
options to tweak for a new user to make it the best way for him/her.

If we do a a first time dialog with a 'do not ask me anymore', that is
nice, BUT it means that we have to put a way to undo that somewhere in a
dialog/option too (while the logic code actually is easy: just an extra
if/flag).

Let's keep the interface as simple/logical/friendly as possible
especially for non power users.

Could we maybe create some poweruser options list (like gnome-settings
or :config in firefox). In which we put this kind of flags?
So no cluttering of the interface with 'do not ask' actions or more
options in the options dialogs. But only a list of configs which you
could use.
Which in practice would actually be a Qtable with filter for QSettings
of QGIS, in my case: ~/.config/QGIS/QGIS2.conf

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps Borys: we should not be afraid of some regression if it makes QGIS
better in general :-)