[Qgis-user] Mapinfo and qgis file's datum problem

nagellette necipenesgengec at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 06:48:39 PST 2013

his post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hi All,

I am new at Qgis and I enjoyed and find it usefuşş for most parts. I am
currently using map info for some buffer analysis and had some problems
about trying to do same analysis in qgis.

I am trying to put a ring buffer for 100m. I converted 100m into degrees
since my default projection in qgis is wgs84 epsg:4326. I putted a point got
a ring in qgis.

Ring created in qgis
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5091891/ring_qgis.jpg>

I tried to do the same in mapinfo. created the ring for same point.
Ring created in mapinfo
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5091891/ring_mapinfo.jpg>

problem starts here: when I open the buffer file that I created qgis in
mapinfo the ring in qgis distorted along vertical direction, and when I open
the buffer file that I created in mapinfo in qgis the ring in mapinfo
distorted along horizontal direction.

Comparing rings in qgis
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5091891/ring_comparison_qgis.jpg>

Comparing rings in mapinfo
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5091891/ring_comparison_mapinfo.jpg>

I am pretty sure that all referrence systems both in mapinfo and qgis is set
to wgs84 epsg:4326.

How can I solve this?