[Qgis-user] Importing SVG + Designing maps from scratch

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 08:22:38 PDT 2013

Hello everyone

I’m very new to GIS, and I’ve been reading a lot of manuals and
information, but I thought I’d ask a couple of questions here.

One of my major hobbies is drawing maps of a completely imaginary
country; it’s part of a massive project of mine. I’m getting to the
point where I’m reaching practical limitations in the way I’m drawing
the maps. The first is that to extend in any direction I need to either
make the canvas size bigger or create a new image and line up elements
exactly, which is quite error-prone and time consuming. The other major
problem is different zoom levels: if I want to draw, say, a more
detailed map of a town, again I’d have to draw a completely new image
and try to copy and/or scale elements of an existing drawing, which is
also time-consuming and error prone.

As I’m trying to make my maps (and everything else) as realistic as
possible, I’ve been starting to think that maybe moving to using some
sort of GIS application might be the way to go. With GIS, I could store
all the geographical information in a database, and then just generate
maps that cover the area and scale that I want. And if I wanted to
create different types of maps, such as topographical or a road map, I
could easily select which layers I want to export. The possibilities are
pretty-much endless.

However, I’ve already done quite a lot of work on these SVG maps in
Inkscape, and I really would prefer not to start completely from
scratch. Can I import an existing SVG map into QGIS and use it as a
starting point, preserving the existing paths and shapes? Can I define
an arbritary grid to align things to? Learning and adapting to GIS is
going to be challenging enough without having to redo years of work.

Any links, books, manuals or whatever that you could recommend for this
kind of project would be great, as I honestly have no idea where to start.

TLDR: Is it possible to import completely fictional maps into (Q)GIS and
design them from scratch, and if so, where to begin?

regards
Robbie