[Qgis-user] Export as SVG or PDF

David david210701 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 12:44:23 PDT 2013

Thanks to Mike, Richard and Guus for your advice - much appreciated.

It looks like the problem was a question of Styles - some of the polygons on the map were filled with 'Point Fill'.   When I changed them to a simple fill of grey, export to SVG and PDF worked OK.    Hooray.

For the record, I use a Mac with Mountain Lion OS and and i5 processor.

David Asquith

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013, 12:48, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

On 09-10-13 13:04, David wrote:

> Using Qgis 1.8, when I try to export my composed map as an SVG or PDF
> file I get a warning about known problems.   Also, Qgis usually but not
> always crashes when exporting.
>
> What to do?   Has this been fixed in Qgis 2.

Hi David,

for what I know the problem is the fact that it is not QGIS itself that
writes the svg/pdf, but the underlying widget library (Qt).
So unless Qt has fixed these known problems, they will still be there.

BUT: did you have those problems? You can always try and see what
happens :-)

Depending on your needs (and the complexity of your maps), I also wrote
a 'SimpleSVG'-plugin, which works for simple maps, and outputs
structured svg, specially crafted to be used in Inkscape for further
processing there.
So this would be another experiment to try.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde