[Qgis-user] Filling field with data

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Sep 23 13:24:57 PDT 2013

Hi Pat,

The "Vector" --> "Data management tools" --> "Join attributes by
location" will also join attributes from the polygon layer - of course,
depending on the spatial join, it will have to aggregate the data like
you also have to in SQL if you have a 1:n relation - but you can also
choose to use the attributes of the first hit.

Other than that I do not think the field calculator allows to reference
data from other layers.

In QGIS 2.1 we will work on database relations. Although spatial joins
are not the primary goal of this work, we may work on these as well.

Hope this helps.

Andreas