[Qgis-user] WMS/GeoWebCache image quality in QGIS

Ross McDonald ross at mixedbredie.net
Wed Aug 20 13:43:13 PDT 2014

Hi List,

I am trying to work out why there is a deterioration in image quality
when I load pre-seeded cached tiles from Geowebcache into QGIS.  I have
a Geoserver (v2.5) cluster and an external GWC (v1.5) configured to use
the GS WMS.  GS supplies the tiles to GWC as PNG, building them from a
number of vector datasets supplied by PostGIS (v2.1).  GS is configured
to output good quality PNG.  The data is supplied and consumed in
EPSG:27700 so no reprojection is happening.

If I look at the WMS straight from Geoserver in something like
OpenLayers or Leaflet then I get nice crisp high quality images.  In
QGIS I get pretty good results too.  Looking at the tiles from
Geowebcache in Leaflet/OpenLayers they are crisp and fast and there is
no problem reading small fonts.  Loading the same tiles into QGIS there
is a marked deterioration in image quality using the default resampling
settings of "NN/NN" and oversampling at 2x.  Changing the resampling
method to "Cubic" and "Average" improves the image quality slightly.
Upping the oversampling to 5x is starting to get there but the wait
times make it unusable.  I have set the zoom levels in QGIS to the same
scales/resolutions as used in GS/GWC.

So what is QGIS doing to the PNG tiles as it loads them from the cache?

I am running both QGIS 2.4 and the development version.

Thanks

Ross