[Qgis-user] QGIS_EPANET - command line tool

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Aug 25 20:11:43 PDT 2014

Hi Francesco,

To call a wine-based Windows app, with arguments from the command line,
consult the wine man page [0].

However, I am not certain this will work as a configuration value, because
the program itself needs to be prefaced with the 'wine' executable as the
caller, e.g.:

wine win_app args

whereas, the QGIS_EPANET plugin may expecting the "Epanet command line
tool" value to be explicitly a single file path. In other words, either the
plugin will need to be adapted to handle wine calls and output, or you can
write a wrapper script.

I recommend trying to craft a wrapper shell script that acts as a proxy to
calling wine and passing on any arguments to the wine-based app, then a
single file path to the wrapper script will probably satisfy the plugin's
configuration.

No guarantee on any of this, or whether the wine-based app's output will be
readable to the plugin.  :-)

There is also an older post that may be of interest on using Homebrew's
wine installation and where the Windows programs/files are located in your
Home folder [1].

Alternatively, and if you have a Windows OS license, you can use a wrapper
script for calling a program from within a running instance of a virtual
machine, e.g. VirtualBox via 'VBoxManage guestcontrol' [2].

[0] https://www.winehq.org/docs/wine
[1] http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
[2] http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-guestcontrol

Regards,