[Qgis-user] ogr2ogr, osm, and spatialite

Thomas Endres endres.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:37:32 PDT 2014

I have downloaded north-america-latest.osm.pbf from geofabrik and am
struggling trying set this up for use in QGIS.
My hope is to create a spatialite db but I receive the following error
repeated over a dozen times using the following command:
ogr2ogr -f SQLite -dsco spatialite=yes -gt 20000 --config
OGR_SQLITESYNCRONOUS OFF north-america.sqlite north-america-latest.osm.pbf

Warning 1: organizePolygons() received an unexpected geometry.
Either a polygon with interior rings, or a polygon with less than 4 points,
or a non-Polygon geometry. Return arguments as a collection.

My search for a fix has proven fruitless after having the same outcome from
a few attempts.
I am left with a 33.1GB file which Spatialite GUI can see but everything
hangs when trying to do anything with GIS.

Thank You

-tommy